Aug 14, 2007

birdsong

I grew up in a rural area and became accustomed to a chorus of birds coaxing me out of bed in the mornings. While never introduced to proper bird watching, I do enjoy my fair share of observation and listening. Here's a wonderful resource to acquaint yourself (or your children or students) with the chirps and their composers:

bird book 001

"Common Birds and their Songs" by Lang Elliott and Marie Read includes descriptions, full-page photos, and audio tracks for fifty common birds in North America. It's an incredible resource!

bird book 002

bird book 003

You can also find this book in the Michael Olaf's "Child of the World" catalog. I can't recommend it enough! It will certainly be put to use in my classroom this coming school year.

Thanks for reading :)

Meg

3 comments:

Bethany said...

My family loves to watch and listen to birds... I will definately look for this book! Right now we have hundreds of goldfinches living in the fields next to our yard, eating the purple thistle. Their songs are beautiful to listen to in the evening!

Anonymous said...

Meg,
Stacy at www.stacysews.com put a link to your reading pillow pattern on her blog today at my suggestion! Just thought you'd like to know and maybe go check out her site. Look under the entry for August 15th with the photo of her daughter.
Take care,
Laura

PS: Hope those pattern orders come in fast!

Meg McElwee said...

Laura, thanks so much for spreading the word! I'm extremely grateful!