Feb 11, 2008

to the one I love

An early Valentine.

Dear Patrick,

Seven years ago today, you invited me out to dinner. During that dinner, we had a flawless, invigorating conversation. At some point in that conversation, I told you very firmly that the last thing I was interested in was dating anyone. Thanks for being persistent in your wooing, and doing it all with your wry sense of humor and keen intellect. Your persistence was well placed. I think it only took me two more weeks to fall head-over-heels in love with you and get that tingle that shot up my spine when you walked into the room.

We've gallivanted across Europe together, learned two foreign languages together, lived on a negative income together, lived without a dishwasher and washing machine together, cooked together, lived in Mexico together, gotten lost while hiking (without water) together, been sick together, been to funerals of loved ones together, but most of all, we've laughed A LOT together.
Perhaps that's why you married me in the first place. You probably thought to yourself, "Hey, this girl laughs at every joke I make. That's pretty nice. I think I'll marry her." But really, even as we get old and saggy, I'll know that I picked a winner. A guy who can make me laugh at every turn of the road. Your wit is unmatched, my love.

How did you do that with your hair? 5
For more of the "How did you do that with your hair?" series - A study of Patrick's hair and its interaction with water, click here.

Let me try to be serious for a while, which is hard to do around you. Here's what I think of you - you are a genius - a clear-thinking, logic-loving, mathematical wiz. You have a head full of facts that makes you a conversational gem. You are respectful and calm. Wise and thoughtful. You care about justice, and feel obligated to do something to draw attention to the plight of the have-nots - those who form the forgotten backbone of this capitalist system that benefits not them, but the few for whom they clean house.

You have a love for history, and are passionate about learning from it in order to make informed decisions about present day economic and political situations. You work to produce amazing videos such as this one, to get the word out to our unfortunately myopic society:



You are leading us on to our next adventure, having been accepted to study for your PhD in Latin American History at your top choices, Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill. You're an incredible and patient teacher. I know this because you've tried to teach me theoretical calculus. I say "tried" because I simply didn't want to do any homework. You, on the other hand, were fascinating to listen to.

You play the piano while I sing along, you cuddle up to me as we watch our physics course, you bake incredible whole wheat bread from scratch. You are my best friend, and I love you.

These past seven years have been incredible, and I can't wait for more.

Love,
Meg

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

To my Sweeties...your wedding day was a beautiful celebration and your love, sent out in larger and larger circles these past few years is a blessing to all of us who are touched by your lives.

love, Mom

Anonymous said...

You two are sweet.

And that hair is awesome.

Anonymous said...

What an incredible, loving tribute.

Bean said...

Beautiful post, I'm so happy you two have that big fat love, too! *smooches* :)

Anonymous said...

That is such a sweet post!

Kathi D said...

Very sweet! Congratulations!

And on another topic, I received my Emmeline pattern today, and it looks wonderful! Now I just need a little time to sew one up! Thanks!

Annie B said...

great hair photos!!!

Suzanne said...

What a lovely letter, I am tearing up here:-)))

Anonymous said...

lovely letter.
movie - the US should really stop interferring. i am going to send this video around.

Julia said...

that is so incredibly sweet. and i love your mom's comment.

Marmadaisy said...

Awwwww

Yarrow said...

Beautiful letter, such a lucky man to be loved so.

The Wooden Spool said...

What a sweet love letter...you two are doing it right! Awesome video, Patrick! Sent the link to my history teacher dad! Have a good week, Laurie

macati said...

:)
I'm whiping a tear!

Bethany said...

Tell your husband that his video is awesome... I love it when people stand up and speak the truth! And tell him he's pretty lucky to have a wife that loves him so much...and you're pretty lucky too! Don't forget that when you've been married 15 years like us!!! It's the laughter that keeps us close!:)

Unknown said...

That letter gave me goosebumps! What a lovely relationship you seem to have! :D

Sew Spoiled said...

That is an awesome post!!! Thank you for sharing. My family and I live in NC and love it. I wish you all the best in your adventures!

Berlinswhimsy said...

I love this----what a wonderful couple you are! I'd love to meet you both...

Good luck on your newfound adventure together...

Unknown said...

Love the hair photos and the letter. Thanks for sharing this part of your life with "us" - the blog world

Wendy said...

I love the list of things you've done together.

For some reason, the 'been to funerals of loved ones together' really got me. When I read that, I could actual feel my man's hand in mine and see tears dripping on our knees as we sat at a funeral.

(Also, there's a lot of similarities between my man and yours... strange.)

I'm so glad you're happy together!. Congratulations!

KR said...

Happy Valentines Day! This was such a sweet read! You two are obviously so incredibly in love, its inspiring :) I hope you enjoy your celebrations together!

I also wanted to let you know that I'm having a Valentines contest over on my blog. If you get a chance, pop on over and check it out! :)

http://homegrownrose.typepad.com/reclaimingthehome/

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Got my patterns in the mail today!
Thanks Meg :-)
PS, lovely valentine letter to your sweetie.

Unknown said...

Wow Meg, what a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing more about your self and your fella. It really seems like you two have created a fun, adventurous life together. I like to call it a "commune of two" myself ^_^

And man, that video was totally brilliant. Thanks for the link!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful and moving letter. You are such a wonderful person.

I am a frequent lurker to your blog. I have sent it to several of the teachers at my son's Montessori school and a couple of parents. I love the things you do with your students and how you love what you do. imagine my surprise and excitement to read that you may be moving to NC! I feel like an old friend is moving back to town.

I just ordered 2 patterns from you. I am planning on making Emmeline aprons for our teachers. I can't wait to get them.