Nov 23, 2007

thanksgiving leftovers

thanksgiving leftovers

The best Thanksgiving leftovers of all time! Come to find out, I'm not the only American- Montessorian expat who enjoyed some Domino's home cookin' instead of turkey. Be still my salivating taste buds.

May I speak frankly about Thanksgiving dinner? I hate to offend, but I must say that I have never, EVER, enjoyed the traditional Thanksgiving meal. First off, my vegetarian sensibilities kicked off at an early age, and I always felt bad for the bird. Second, gravy makes me gag. Third, I SO dreaded the days upon days of really icky cold turkey sandwiches and football games. Umm ... hello, my name is Meg and I'm a Thanksgiving party pooper.

That said, there are some wonderful things about Thanksgiving - family, pumpkin pie, and Martinelli's sparkling apple cider. And the fact that, once Thanksgiving passes, it's gung-ho Christmas decorating time!

So yes, it made us a bit sad yesterday that instead of sipping apple cider with all the fam, we found ourselves in Chihuahua City taking care of my husband's immigration documents. Which, I might add, is just about as fun as spending the day at the DMV. But it all worked out in the end, (no) thanks to American cultural hegemony. For what did we find 8 hours south of the Texas border in the middle of a desert? Domino's pizza! Rock on.

14 comments:

Melissa said...

Hey, it works for me! I love pizza. Would you be willing to tell me the name of the font used in your blog header? I saw that font in a magazine and knew it was the one I wanted for my header, but alas I can't find it anywhere. Then today, I came across your blog and thought you might share.

Meg McElwee said...

Melissa - it's called papyrus. :)

aniexma said...

Shall I tell you a truly tragic tale? My birthday is October 13th and I'm a Canadian, which means Canadian Thanksgiving frequently falls on my birthday (second Monday in October). I just can't bring myself to tell my very sweet Mother-in-law that I can't stand turkey.

Melissa said...

Oh, thank you Meg!

Marcy said...

lol! Yes, Domino's certainly seems to have an edge in the international market. ; )

I Know Toni said...

If it makes you feel better, you're not the only one who thinks that way about Thanksgiving. I eat a bit of the turkey to make my parents happy, load up on the green beans and salad. And dessert. I guess I do like dessert. Maybe Thanksgiving isn't so bad :)

Anonymous said...

I found your blog via sewmamasew. It's refreshing to see other montessori minded crafters. Thanks for pointing toward the book Flow.

dutchcomfort said...

lxwgligeI symphatize with you. We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving in our country. I think the idea of getting together, spend time together is wonderful. The Turkey thing is something I don’t like. I would love though to try some pumpkin pie once! And Pizza is great. What’s your favourite taste?

Anonymous said...

Haha - I feel the same way about xmas meal - the only thing I like is the salad!

Unknown said...

Meg, Thanksgiving is not about the turkey, even if it is good, but you have the right spirit of the holiday and that's more important than eating all the famous food of the day! Glad you enjoyed your pizza!

Marmadaisy said...

I could eat pizza every day. And as I veggie I'm with you on the turkey-eating thing, and as a Brit I'm with you on the Thanksgiving thing :)))

Lindart said...

It's not the turkey, but the people you are with...Pizza sounds like a great alternative! My Mom is a vegetarian, so I know how you feel. We always have a mixed vegetarian/turkey Thanksgiving, something for everyone!

Anonymous said...

he he he. gravy makes me gag too.

Fabric Fanatic said...

Meg, when I lived north of Puerto Vallarta, I planned my trips into town to fall on Tuesday because Domino's had 2 for 1!!!....and I could stock up and freeze pizza for those days when I needed a "fix". I loved your flickr photos...and realized looking at them that you and I both love Malakoff Diggins and the Yuba River. When I lived in Sacramento I often spent time there.
Feliz Navidad, Amiga!