Oct 25, 2007

recycled bath mat

patchwork bath mat close up

Did anyone guess correctly? Here it is - a funky addition to our bathroom decor, made from part of an old terry cloth bath towel and sewing "refuse".

patchwork bath mat

patchwork bath mat towel backing

I'm especially fond of the feet embroidery detail. I used my own dainties as the model. Patrick wonders where he is going to put his feet. (But really, my love ... the mat wouldn't have looked nearly as cute had your long, lanky, crooked toes been featured!) Wouldn't a bath mat sporting various sets of feet in your family be fun? A little pair, a big pair ... a pair for anyone who uses the mat's services with some frequency.

I will be putting together a tutorial very soon. I've decided to go the PDF route for my tutorials from now on, given that it is much easier for you to print out the instructions. That said, it will take me a schmidgin' of time to do the layout and write it up.

I wish you all a very, very merry Friday!

Meg

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

absolutely adorable - especially the footsies!
xoxo

Bethany said...

I missed your blog yesterday and now I don't have to wait to see what it is!! You are so clever! I love the foot embroidery...but am feeling sort of bad for your poor husband!

tiffany... said...

it's brilliant!
i, too, am a montessori teacher (in western massachusetts) in a 6-9 class... although, i used to teach in the 3-6 classroom. i'm so happy to find your blog!

Allegra said...

very cute!!!!

Jenn said...

I love it! What a great idea - I need a bath rug and would love to make one of these. Can't wait to see the tutorial. (I think mine will have my sons' cute feet!)

Regina said...

I'm so glad I started stopping by here! The bath mat is such a wonderful idea!! I can totally see four little feet on a mat in the bathroom!!!

macati said...

this is sooooooooo great! love it!

Anonymous said...

So bright and cheerful! This is a great idea, and we happen to be in need of new bath mats. I have no idea why it would never have occurred to me to make my own, given the amount of fabric (and old towels) I have on hand.

I'm so happy to have come across your blog, by the way. I feel pretty clueless when it comes to bringing some practicality/teaching into playtime with my son; I can use all the help I can get! :)

Jennifer said...

This is a great project - I'm looking forward to the tutorial. I recently bought and made the mei tai carrier, which my daughter and I love. What a treat this blog is - from the sewing to the Montessori love...
Cheers

wayfarer said...

so cute!!!

Our Prim Nest said...

That is fantastic. You are so talented.

The Wooden Spool said...

Too cute! I love it! I need to make one, too...and a matching shower curtain has been on my list for a few years, now! LOL Ahhh the life of a full time momma/teacher/wife!

Anonymous said...

the feet are fantastic!

Anonymous said...

it's perfect, meg! i love it!

Gift of Green said...

Brilliant! Thanks for showing us!