Jan 16, 2008

the wonders of metamorphism, the cute way

Remember my eyewitness account of metamorphism last summer? Here's a more snuggly version from the wee wonderfuls pattern:

caterpillar
caterpillar

chrysalis
chrysalis - faux suede 6" x 6" blanket with bias binding

butterfly
butterfly with detachable wings (velcro)

Yet another lovely pattern by Hillary. I made just a few modifications which make it, quite possibly, the coolest science softie ever! Hand sewing is so liberating - I mean - who could imagine hiking down to the hot springs at the bottom of a canyon, and while sitting down there, granite walls soaring upwards on either side of you ... being able to create something so lovely with your hands. That's the best of both worlds. It's about time that the inside hobby breaks out of it's dimly-lit mold and into fresh air. I must make a note to myself to put more hiking and hand sewing on the calendar.

xo,
Meg

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh wow, it's wonderful! i especially like the wings.

Holly Moore said...

I don't know if you check these comments often but I am in love with your blog. You have so many amazing ideas. I just graduated college so hopefully I'll finally have some time to do the sewing I've been putting off for the last 4 years. (= Thanks for the ideas and laughs.

Anonymous said...

Oh this is wonderful..I homeschool my children and we are studying insects right now...hmm...wonder if I should order myself a pack of those from Hillary?! I love the detachable wings idea!

Marmadaisy said...

Oh it's darling.

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Cute little softie, and I love the bright, clean look from the light box photos. I have taken to carrying a small tin with a few sewing supplies and any little work in progress, so that I have something to pass time with while waiting.

Annika said...

What a splendid interpretation of the pattern! It's on my to-do list and I am finding myself more excited than ever!

Dena Rooney-Berg (SugarShop) said...

So adorable! Each year we bring out silk worms eggs that we have stored and put them in a habitat for our 5 yr old and watch them go through their life cylcle. He loves to talk about their metamorphosis.Thanks for the inspiration his b-day is in a couple weeks and he'd love this. Beautiful photos!

Sarah said...

How beautiful! And soft! And special!

peaknits said...

omg - how sweet it is. I just love the little sleeping bag! Great interpretation. darling!

Bethany said...

You are using your light box, aren't you?!! It's great... well, especially your butterfly!!! I loved it before, and I love these even more now!

Anonymous said...

Oooo! Love the adorable softie and also your new lightbox!! Great pictures!

Unknown said...

oh that is so adorable!! You did a great job.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is fabulous! I HAVE to make one for my son's Montessori class now! What alterations/additions did you make to the pattern?? Love it, love it, love it!!

amanda. said...

what an adorable softie! & so perfect for a lesson.

TeamMcDonough said...

So Cute! I love the velcro wing action. Also your blog is amazing and inspiring. Thanks

aniexma said...

Oooo... I see the Wee Wondeful butterfly completely different now, I think it's my new favourite.

Anonymous said...

Wow - I love the dramatic colours!

Anonymous said...

The only thing that could have made this fabulous creation over the top is if you made the blanket cocoon open up into the wings.

Great job!